Friday, January 2, 2009

There's this really weird guy in Toledo, and I don't mean Jon Stainbrook.

Over coffee today a friend told me there's actually a blog called jonstainbrooksucks.com. To get there, you might have to put some W's in front of the URL. I don't know because I haven't wanted to visit. Just the fact that the site exists is what interests me, not what's there. Seems like it would take a special kind of person to make a site like that, and I don't mean special in the way that some people might use that word.

My friend said the guy who runs the site is named Chris something or other. I never heard of Chris something or other so I'm not sure Chris is a guy. My friend decided Chris is a guy because she thinks he's the same guy who ran for public office and lost. But she said the site looks very, very girly, so it's possible it's not the failed candidate. She said there are flowers and pale colors there. In other words, things that little girls swoon over, like their stuffed teddy bears, heart-shaped pillows, and training bras.

Let's assume this Chris really is a guy and this guy likes soft colors and flowers but detests Jon Stainbrook, and detests him enough to make a site that says Jon Stainbrook sucks. Now, I know why I made a site that says I don't hate Jon Stainbrook. I like to stand up for the underdog and when I see someone getting what looks to me like a lot of poop piled on him no matter what he does, I feel a need to pipe up on that person's behalf. But starting a site to say someone sucks? That seems fairly nutty to me, and it got me to thinking about what kind of person would create something like that.

Picture a boil. I mean one of those big festering sacks of pus that needs to be lanced. That's how I'm picturing this Chris person's heart. Maybe making a website based on hate is his (her?) way of lancing the boil. You have to be careful when you lace a boil. You could let loose a a huge flood of pus, and it could end up spreading infection to other places. Like your brain, for instance. Once your brain is infected, there's no telling how many posts oozing with pus you might start spreading around the Internet. It could turn a person into a joke, you know what I mean? It could call into question everything that person posts no matter what the topic is. People might start wondering if the poster is capable of being balanced and fair and decent.

Maybe someday when I don't have anything meaningful to do , and if I ever find out this Chris person's last name, I'll Google him (her?) to see if I can find any reason to start a site called idon'thatechriswhat'shis(her)name.com. I'm thinking that may be a little harder than finding reasons not to hate Jon Stainbrook, but I'm willing to give it a shot.